Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Refinery



This is my most recent visit and final one required for this module. My confidence with these visits has shown a steady improvement this semester from the previous one.

I produced high-end quality printing for The Refinery during the 90's and 00's and this would prove to be a topical point when I met with, although not a creative person his business acumen allowed for a diversion from the normal portfolio visit.

I was given David Price's contact number by an ex colleague and he explained that although he had worked at our ex firm Qualitech ten years previous to myself that it would act as a good platform for conversation.

We looked through my folio and David explained that he was not really qualified to give a professional opinion but his knowledge of photography allowed him to express an interest in the quality of my work that he was impressed with the general diversity and layout. Interestingly they are one of the few design agencies that have an in house photography studio.

We the went on to discuss one particular job that Qualitech printed for The Refinery for a company called Perstorp a manufacturer of kitchen surfaces. This job was every printers nightmare, ten colours each side, that’s four passes. The client would bring a sample of each surface and check every one. This proved to be amusing for us both had a good laugh about this and the conversation ended with David offering me the possibility of a placement when I finish my course.

A very positive end to my required visits, each of the three companies have offered me sound advice, confidence and possible work experience that has gone beyond my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment